AWS Migration Services have been instrumental in helping thousands of companies transition their workloads from traditional infrastructure to AWS cloud environments. Throughout this process, these companies have realized numerous significant advantages, including reduced IT costs, enhanced business agility, and improved operational resilience.
Drawing from years of migration expertise, AWS has developed tools and services that simplify and accelerate cloud migration. So, what exactly is AWS Migration Service, and how can it benefit your business? Let’s delve into more details in the following article.
Understanding AWS Migration Services
AWS Migration Services encompasses a suite of solutions provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS) to facilitate the migration of applications, data, and infrastructure to an AWS cloud environment. This service is designed to streamline and expedite the migration process by offering the essential tools, resources, and guidance required for a successful transition to AWS.
Additionally, AWS Migration Services include a range of services tailored to support the migration of various workload types, including databases, servers, and applications. The primary objective of this service is to empower companies to leverage the advantages of the AWS cloud, such as scalability, elasticity, security, and operational efficiency.
5 Benefits of Migrating to AWS
On its official website, AWS highlights five key benefits that businesses can enjoy when undertaking cloud migration.
1. Cost Savings in Infrastructure
Realize infrastructure cost savings of up to 31 percent% through flexible pricing options, including a pay-as-you-go model. By migrating to AWS, companies can reduce their overall hardware expenses significantly.
2. Streamlined Infrastructure Management
Achieve a 62% improvement in IT infrastructure management efficiency. AWS offers automated management services like monitoring, automation, and provisioning, enabling companies to manage their IT infrastructure more efficiently. This can substantially reduce the time and effort required for system setup, maintenance, and management.
3. Accelerated Development
Experience faster feature development at a 3:1 ratio. AWS provides services that expedite the application development and deployment process, such as AWS Lambda, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, and AWS CodePipeline. By utilizing these services, companies can reduce the time needed to develop and implement new features, thereby accelerating their time-to-market.
4. Minimized Downtime Risks
Mitigate downtime risks by 69 percent % with services and features designed to enhance application and infrastructure availability. For instance, AWS Elastic Load Balancing and AWS Auto Scaling assist in automatically distributing traffic.
5. Enhanced Security
Reduce security incidents by 43 percent % through robust security and compliance services, including AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM), AWS Web Application Firewall (WAF), and AWS Shield. Migrating to AWS allows companies to leverage multi-layered security and benefit from continuous security monitoring and auditing.
10 AWS Migration Service Types
There are eight types of services that support the migration process to AWS. Here’s a detailed explanation.
1. AWS Database Migration Service (DMS)
This service enables database migration from on-premises environments or other clouds to AWS. DMS provides a secure and fast replication tool for transferring data from a source database to a target database in AWS.
2. AWS Server Migration Service (SMS)
Assists in migrating physical or virtual server workloads to AWS. This service provides automation tools to help customers easily convert local servers to EC2 instances on AWS.
3. AWS Snow Family
Provides solutions for large and complex data migration, including devices such as AWS Snowball, Snowcone, and Snowmobile. Customers can transfer data offline at high speed to AWS using these devices.
4. AWS Application Discovery Service (ADS)
This service helps gather information about the applications you want to migrate to and existing infrastructure dependencies. It aids in migration planning by providing a better understanding of the applications and resources involved.
5. AWS Migration Hub
Offers a centralized view of the entire migration process, allowing you to track and monitor migration status, manage costs, and access the tools and resources needed to manage migrations efficiently.
6. AWS Application Load Balancer (ALB)
A load balancing service used to evenly distribute application traffic across multiple EC2 instances or containers. This enhances application availability and scalability during migration.
7. AWS Elastic Beanstalk
Simplifies the deployment, management, and scaling of web applications in AWS environments. It can be used during migration to manage and simplify application deployment.
8. AWS CloudEndure Migration
Provides continuous replication for smooth server migration, allowing you to duplicate and move your on-premises workloads to AWS with minimal downtime.
9. AWS DataSync
Enables fast and secure data migration between local file systems and AWS storage, such as Amazon S3 or Amazon EFS. This is useful for large data migrations or regular transfers required during the migration process.
10. AWS Direct Connect
Facilitates migration by providing a fast and reliable communication path between on-premises data sources and AWS.
These are several types of AWS services that can support the migration process to AWS. Selecting the right service depends on your specific migration needs.
3 Steps for a Successful Migration to AWS
Migration to AWS consists of three main interrelated phases for moving applications, databases, datacenters, and servers to a cloud environment. Below are the steps to successfully migrate to AWS.
1. Assessment Phase
- Identify desired business outcomes.
- Use AWS tools to assess current resources and project optimal costs for running applications in the cloud.
- Leverage the AWS Migration Hub to run on-premises workloads on AWS and get recommended EC2 instances.
- Utilize the migration guides and patterns provided by AWS Prescriptive Guidance to plan your migration journey and business transformation.
2. Mobilization Phase
- Create a migration plan to address gaps and prepare your team’s cloud skills.
- Understand dependencies between applications and evaluate business strategies to align with business objectives.
- Collect app portfolio data and choose the appropriate migration strategy.
- Leverage AWS services such as the AWS Application Discovery Service and AWS Migration Hub to gather information and plan migrations.
3. Migration and Modernization Phase
- Design, migrate, and validate all applications.
- Use tools such as the AWS Migration Hub, AWS Application Migration Service (MGN), and AWS Server Migration Service to expedite and simplify application migration.
- Employ AWS Database Migration Service (DMS) to migrate databases with minimal downtime.
- Leverage AWS services such as AWS DataSync, AWS Snow Family, and AWS Transfer Family for data transfer to and from AWS.
- Use AWS Managed Services to optimize AWS infrastructure.
- After migrating applications to AWS, you can use the AWS Service Catalog to create and manage a catalog of approved IT services for use on AWS.
By following these steps, you can successfully migrate to AWS, increasing the efficiency, scale, and security of your IT infrastructure with cloud services.
Accelerate Your Cloud Migration to AWS with CDT
It’s time to expedite the migration and modernization of your business workload from any environment with cloud migration to AWS di Central Data Technology (CDT). AWS offers a wide range of migration solutions to facilitate the transfer and modernization of applications, websites, databases, storage, physical and virtual servers, and even entire data centers.
As an AWS authorized advanced partner, CDT is here to help you achieve superior business outcomes. Together with AWS, CDT will develop a set of capabilities aimed at streamlining your migration process, all supported by an experienced and certified team of IT professionals.
Take the next step in accelerating your modernization and workload migration plans with cloud migration to AWS through CDT by clicking the link.
Author & Translation: Ary Adianto
CTI Group Content Writers